Thursday 28 October 2010

Portknockie's Other Rock

I felt pretty defeated about my night shoot, so next day I went out to cheer myself up. Oscar and I went for a climb down to the shore at Quineland to see the amusingly called "Shitten Craig". I can only guess at the name - it is a rock that has been turned white by the sea birds guano and is called in the guidebooks "White Craig". The more colourful name seems to be the local variant. Not as unusual as Bow Fiddle Rock, Shitten Craig is still a striking lump of stone. Huge, triangular like a sharks fin, white and covered in sea birds, the waves crash and break on it protecting the Portknockie natural harbour at Quineland . In the area a Quine is Doric for a girl, so I assume this was where the women worked at mending nets, gutting fish etc. I think only a lunatic would go out to sea around that wild coast so maybe it is appropriate that young lads are called "Loons". Oscar louped about the area and although he had great fun lying in the rock pools and climbing the cliffs, thankfully he stayed out of the big waves while I took a series of shots of the jagged coast. I got a few good ones as well, there is something about water, rocks and a lack of people that makes photography great fun.

What did I learn on this shoot - the local tourist attraction may not always be the most photogenic, explore the quiet places and when a 3 stone dog runs over a grassy area, it doesn't mean that a 15 stone man can do the same without getting ankle deep in the bog.

No comments:

Post a Comment